|Western Wall in red (circa 1925)|
Until 1967 almost all of the Western Wall was hidden by buildings and residences. At the relatively small area where Jews were permitted to pray, the prayer area was only four meters wide.
|Based on the memorial grafitti, the |
picture was apparently taken after April 1917
The prohibition against Jews sitting on chairs or benches at the site or setting up a screen to separate the sexes was maintained by the British after they took over Palestine.
Both pictures suffered from deterioration before they were digitalized at the Library of Congress.