|Old City landscape in 1900. The domed buildings |
were the Churva and Tifreret Yisrael synagogues
Today, we feature the interior of the Ohel Yitzhak Synagogue which was located in the Muslim Quarter (many Jews lived beyond the confines of the Jewish Quarter despite the supposed division of the Old City).
|Interior of the synagogue (circa 1900)|
The Arab riots in 1920 and 1929 threatened the Jewish community in the Old City, and their ties to the synagogue and yeshiva in the building were severely disrupted.
|The destroyed Ohel Yitzhak Synagogue|
The riots and pogroms of the Arab Revolt in Palestine (1936-1939) forced the Jewish congregants to abandon the synagogue in 1938. The Jordanian Legion captured the Old City in 1948, and the building was destroyed.
|Ohel Yitzhak Synagogue today|
In 2008 the Ohel Yitzhak Synagogue was rebuilt and beautifully restored, under the sponsorship of the Moskowitz family of the United States.
Today, the synagogue is administered by the Western Wall Heritage Foundation.
Next in this series: The "Churva" Synagogue.