The wall of Jerusalem's Old City that we see today was built in 1540 during the days of the Ottoman Sultan, Suleiman the Magnificent.
The location and name "Zion Gate" appear on maps dating back to the 12th century. It is one of eight gates in the Old City Wall.
Zion Gate, picture by Bergheim, circa 1867. Today, the walls are pock-marked from
bullets and artillery shells fired during the1948 war in the Jews' attempt to resupply and
relieve the Jewish Quarter besieged by the Jordanian Legion.
Zion Gate (circa 1898) The photo was captioned "Jerusalem"
with no further detail. While the American Colony photographic
department was established in 1898, its founder, Elijah
Meyer, was an active photographer prior to that date.
|Zion Gate circa 1900|
|Camels leaving "David's Portal" (circa 1910)|
|Expulsion of Jews from the Jewish Quarter in the 1948 War|
through the Zion Gate (John Philips for Life Magazine)