|Dung Gate interior (circa 1900)|
|Dung Gate interior (circa |
The original Dung Gate is mentioned in the book of Nehemiah 3:13. Close to the Temple Mount and facing the ancient City of David and the Shiloach spring, the original gate was probably well traversed. The gate is at the lowest point of the walls, and indeed it was probably used for removing refuse and possibly ashes from the Temple. A major drainage tunnel near the gate, more than 600 meters long and dating back at least to Herod's days, has recently been discovered and cleared and opened for tourists.
|"Ash heaps from the Temple|
|Dung Gate today. Note the small arch of|
the original Ottoman gate on top of
the larger opening
The Ottoman-built gate was small and narrow, the upper arch of which is still visible above today's gate. In 1952, during Jordan's occupation of the Old City, the gate was widened to permit vehicles to enter. The opening was reinforced with cement posts. The gate was renovated by Israel after 1967 to match the Ottoman stone and design.
See previous photo essays on the Zion Gate, Damascus Gate, Golden Gate and Lions Gate.