|"A Jewish colony" dated sometime between 1898 and 1946.|
Where and when was the picture taken?
The buildings in the circles help identify the site
|"Harvesting, Jewish colony" (1898-1946)|
Note the ultra-Orthodox man under the
umbrella. In the Library of Congress
digital collection the two harvesting
pictures are adjacent to the large photo
of the horse and buggy on the top right
|"Jewish colony harvesting" (1898-1946)|
Note the same machinery in the two
The photo of the horse and buggy on the top right was taken at the Mikve Yisrael Agricultural School, established in 1870, near what later became Tel Aviv. Note the building with the central chimney which appears in other photographs below. The "Jewish colony harvesting" pictures are located in adjacent files to the horse and buggy picture.
The American Colony photographers took dozens of pictures of the "Jewish colonies and settlements," no doubt reflecting their Christian "end-of-days" theology which supported the return of Jews to the Holy Land. The founder of the American Colony's photographic department, Elijah Meyers, a Jew from India who converted to Christianity, produced a photographic documentary of the Jewish communities already in 1897.
An earlier posting:
|Photo captioned "Mikweh"|
Note the two buildings in the
|Mikveh Yisrael students|
Pictured here (left) is the Mikve Yisrael wine cellar, built in 1883.