|Three Orthodox Jews walking past the "4th Station of the|
Cross" on al Wad Street in the Muslim Quarter. The men
almost certainly entered the Old City from the
Damascus Gate (circa 1900)
After Britain's capture of Jerusalem in 1917, Arab terrorists led by Haj Amin el Husseini frequently attacked Jews in the Old City. And in the period of the Jordanian occupation of the Old City (1948-1967) it was outright impossible to visit the retaining wall of the Second Temple.
After Israel's reunification of the city in 1967 and the rebuilding of the Jewish Quarter, Jews were able to take their traditional Sabbath walk to the Wall safely.