|Al-Aqsa colonnade and a structure on|
To be more exact it is the "Colonnade of Omar" located between the al-Aqsa mosque and the Dome of Rock, and it was probably taken in the early 1930s when the American Colony photographers focused their lenses on the rebuilding of the al-Aqsa after its partial destruction in the 1927 earthquake.
But we noticed something else in the picture, the prominent building on the hill to the right of the colonnade.
|Enlargement of the Tiferet Yisrael synagogue|
|Two domes -- The Tiferet Yisrael Synagogue (left) and |
the Hurva Synagogue (1900)
The synagogues' size, architectural prominence and commanding view were not popular among Muslims in the Old City; even the color of domes was reportedly a target of complaints.
|British (Scot) soldier guarding the Jewish Quarter|
and the Tiferet Yisrael synagogue in 1948,
prior to the end of the British Mandate.
(Source: Life Magazine archives)
|The destroyed Tiferet Yisrael synagogue and a Jordanian|
soldier. (Source: Wikipedia, 1948)
After the Israel Defense Forces captured the Old City in 1967, the Jewish Quarter and the Hurva synagogue were rebuilt. The Tiferet Yisrael Synagogue has yet to be rebuilt.
For more information on the Old City synagogues, click here and here for earlier photo essays.
Click on pictures to enlarge. Click on the link below the picture to view the original.
Subscribe to www.israeldailypicture.com to receive every photo essay by email. Enter your name in the box in the right sidebar to subscribe.