|Photo from an album showing Turkish dignitaries leaving|
the Old City on Saturday, February 26, 1916, heading
toward Jaffa Road
A private album from the American Colony whose photographers took the picture provides a little more information: "Driving out of the Damascus Gate." The picture was placed in the album amidst pictures of Enver Pasha, the Chief of Staff of the Ottoman army, who was visiting Jamal Pasha, the governor of Syria and Palestine. The two men were part of the ruling "Young Turks."
Enver Pasha visited Jerusalem at the height of the war in the Sinai between the Ottoman/German forces and the British army, then based in Egypt and fighting to defend the Suez Canal. Enver's visit took place on Saturday, February 26, 1916, according to the published diaries of a European diplomat in Jerusalem. Enver visited the Mt. of Olives and the Dome of the Rock shrine in the Old City. His lodgings were at the Hotel Kaminitz on Jaffa Road. This picture was taken apparently when the two pashas were traveling between these landmarks.
|Valero's shops torn down in 1937 by|
the British to provide more "open space"
near Damascus Gate
|Valero's shops being built circa 1900.The|
domes of the Hurva and Tifferet Yisrael
synagogues are on the horizon on the
left of the picture
In the background of the picture are a row of Jewish-owned shops adjacent to the Damascus Gate built by a Jewish businessman in Jerusalem, Chaim Aharon Valero. The shops were built around 1900 but torn down under British zoning regulations in 1937.